Monday, September 16, 2013

Revolution in the mailbox: Deep in enemy territory

Is everyone in the digital industry insensitive to mechanical technology? No, says our correspondent who's embedded deep in a rumored ultrasecret black-ops cell ...



Meanwhile, in Brooklyn ...

This dashing young man is David Karp, founder and CEO of Tumblr. 


According to a recent New York Times story, Karp's loft celebrates "all that is aged, rough or both ... Nothing in his home looks particularly futuristic .... The newest-looking machine in the house is the metal carcass of a classic 1969 Honda CB160 motorcycle."


The apartment's designer describes it as built with "analog technology" and "mildly steampunk." The objects on view include classic cameras:


and a German factory clock:


No typewriters (yet), but I salute Mr. Karp for keeping high tech in its place. And as an act of thanks, I'll link to some Tumblr typewriter blogs:










... and there's much, much more.




6 comments:

  1. By George that's a lot more analogue blogs out there in this great digital world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a loft, it would a lot like that. Well, with a lot more typewriters and maybe a few giant robot projects.

    I never know what to make of Tumblr. Most of what I see there are photos with no captions, much less actual words. I'll check out some of your handy links.

    Svetlana Optima will celebrate the many victories of the Insurgency. I hope she doesn't make too much of a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links! Those, coupled with the Torpedo ad I found there (latest blog post) has led me to finally create a tumblr account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting piece on David Karp's lo-tech loft. Typewriters are on the horizon I'm sure.

    (pardon the deletion, I typed too fast!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very helpful post. Been playing with Tumbler lately, and your links have given me a jump start.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete