Thursday, October 2, 2014

The power of a Travel-Riter

Meet Remington Travel-Riter #TR122761, made in December 1954.

Yes, it needs a bit of work. But don't underestimate the power of a humble portable. This typewriter was kindly donated to WordPlay Cincy by its original owner. Toni writes:

I taught myself to type on that typewriter which I received for my birthday in the second grade.... I was obsessed with being a secretary and told my parents that was all I wanted for my birthday.

So what became of this obsession?

I am attaching photos of the 3 awards I received my senior year at Wickliffe High School in 1965...the typing award (pin), the John Robert Gregg Shorthand award (bronze medallion) and the Olivetti-Underwood Award of Merit for the Outstanding Business Student.  The Guidance Counselor told me later that there was a heavy discussion in the business department because usually 3 different kids received those awards but the woman in charge said "there is no comparison....  Toni deserves all three of them!"   And so they awarded them all to me!  I actually got a degree in Business Administration with a teaching certificate with the intention of teaching business subjects in high school but I liked working in offices more than teaching it so I worked in business, often as a supervisor or office manager.  Still work part time as a bookkeeper two days a week.






As Toni says, "It all started with that typewriter!" Who knows what it may do for some other kid in the future?

Thank you, Toni, for giving us your typewriter and your story.


8 comments:

  1. This is a great story. And of course, that Olivetti-Underwood Award of Merit is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting find, Richard. I don't think I've seen this model as a Remington before, but I had one in metallic green which was a Torpedo 20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story for the typewriter. I doubt there is any like-kind award for using a PC. She accomlished quite a bit with an interest in a typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, except the the 60's, in retrospect, were not the best time to aspire to a secretarial career. Only 20 years in job get eliminated as business people discover that they don't care about each others' sloppy keyboarding, spelling, or grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it's had a few key transplants. Now that's the mark of a hard working 'riter :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice story and I like that pin. It's a pity Olivetti-Underwood couldn't stump up for one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these Torpedo 20 rebadged machines. And great tale behind it!

    ReplyDelete