Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Grants 707 Gullwing Electric typewriter

Here you see the gullwing ribbon covers (also found on some Vosses):

(Clarification: the '74 Christmas season and a month thereafter.)

The spinning shaft with three flanges is the horizontal piece in focus in this photo (obviously, the typewriter is turned off):


Here are all the ads I could find:

Gouverneur (NY) Tribune-Press, September 4, 1974:

 Ft. Walton Beach (FL) Playground Daily News, December 8, 1974:

Medina (OH) Medina City Gazette, December 13, 1974:

Salem (OH) News, December 31, 1974:

Oneonta (NY) Daily Star, January 22, 1975:


  1. ahh, so it *is* a Nakajima! Well, that's the final nail in the coffin of me thinking these were the elusive Brother JP-6:

    PS: the Sears ones do not have gullwing ribbon covers. That feature seems to be exclusive to the Grant's variation.

    1. Oh, wow! There it is!

      The second machine you listed, at least, does have gullwing covers (see the photos).

      I also note that both of these machines have a power shift. I guess Nakajima realized that the manual shift was unacceptable.

      By the way, I do not have proof that this typewriter was made by Nakajima. The 737 I used to have definitely matched Nakajima designs, and this 707 has the telltale downturned margin selectors, so I am making a reasonable guess.

    2. it's good enough, I think. I highly doubt they are Silver-Seikos (Reeds, whatever), and I'm becoming firmly convinced that Brother never allowed their machines to be re-serialed with anything other than Brother-format serial numbers.

    3. Ummm, Ted, that Sears Electric 1 which I posted on TWDB that you asked me to take apart totally had gullwing doors! It was just like Richard's machine but for the color.

  2. I like the observation about even excellent typewriters having an Achilles heel, you just sometimes need to spend a while with it to find it. Reminds me, I must dig out the SCM electric I shoved in the loft shortly after being given it. A 'purposeful' striking action if I remember right.

  3. Nice looking typewriter. I remember W.T.Grants, but I was in school then and do not remember their typewriters.

  4. I too remember W T Grants stores. Especially memorable was the beautiful Raymond Loewy designed Grants store in downtown Buffalo, NY. It was unfortunately being torn down, and a group of us got to salvage - I still have two Alvar Alto tables, and a chrome deco chair from it. We did save some of the streamlined chrome light fixtures. too
    Cool colors, and styling - thanks for sharing a unique machine!

  5. She's cute. That's for sure. The colours are very reminiscent of that era too. That's a great find you've got there.

  6. "Every typewriter [sic] ... has its Achillies heel." Really?? Certainly not the Oliver!!

  7. "Every typewriter [sic] ... has its Achillies heel." Really?? Certainly not the Olivetti Lettera 22, Studio 45, and Lexikon 80!

    I have not seen that electric before. Cool. I see that you are slowly catching up on electrics.

  8. Is it basket or carriage shift?