Saturday, April 22, 2017

Southwest Ohio safari

Lebanon, Ohio

I spent the afternoon today touring antique shops of southwest Ohio, in search of guess what. Here's what I spotted. At the end of the day, I had two of these in my trunk. The first person to guess which ones they were will get a real, physical postcard in the mail.

Royal HH, $49:


Tom Thumb, $34:


Royal KHM, $49:

R

De-Luxe Dial, $45:


Dial, $29:

Berwin, $15:


Remington portable no. 2, $48:


Sears Malibu, $25:


Underwood portable, $49:

 

Corona Sterling, $85:
Remington 10, $65:

Underwood, $65:

Royal KMG, $65:
Tom Thumb, $24:
Corona Sterling, $99:
 
Sears toy, $25:
Buddy L, $10:

SCM Coronet, $65:
Montgomery Ward Cartridge Mark II, $20:
Model typewriter advertising Regal rebuilts, $475:
Simplex, $65.67:
Royal Safari, $59.95:
Smith-Corona Sterling Cartridge, $29.95:
Royal KMM, $49.99:
Remington portable no. 2, as is, $45:

Royal Aristocrat, $75:
Smith-Corona Silent, $40:
Royal KMM, $50:
Royal QDL, $65:
Corona Comet De Luxe, needs work, $59:
Royal portable, $169:

Underwood, $150:

Royal HH, $55:
Tom Thumb, $42.50:

Smith-Corona Sterling, as is, $28:
Smith-Corona Silent, $60:

Woodstock, $129:

Olympia electric, $19:
Underwood, $45:

Smith-Corona Super Sterling, $59.99:
Smith-Corona Classic 12, $39.99:
Royal 440, $39.99:
Royal QDL, as is, $29.99:

Remington 12, $85:

Royal portable, $99.95:

Olivetti-Underwood Studio 44, $79:
Underwood Master, $59:
Royal HH, $60:

Woodstock, $98.95:
Royal KMG, $29.99:

Bing No. 2, $145:
Tom Thumb, no price; Buddy L, $19.99:

Royal Futura, $49.99:

Here are a few of the places I visited:




Welcome, Big Brother is watching you:




23 comments:

  1. Wow, you found a tonne. Im guessing the 2nd remington 2, and the underwood portable. I hope you asked the shopkeep about the absurdity of the little regal miniatures price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I'd be buying that last Royal because it says ACME on it, which is a classic. And if it's VOGUE I know it's in the trunk.

    I also like the COMET, even if it needs work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im thinking the Royal KHM with decimal tab and the 2nd Remington portable 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. KHM, KMG. Let's see if I have my thumb on your pulse.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going with one of the KMMs and the Underwood 4-bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a plethora of nice machines in quite reasonable prices! I'm sure seeing all them at one would make my head explode and I'd start running around like a headless chicken if I could only buy two of them. My choice would be the nice Royal combo of KHM for $49 and portable for $99. In your case though I'd guess it wouldn't be any of the office giants (as you don't want to sleep on the porch - even temporarily ;) ) so I'd lean towards two of the three "as is" machines: S-C Sterling and Royal QDL. A bit of fun for you tinkering with them and the world of good for Wordplay Cincy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll guess the Underwood Portable 4 bank ($49) and the Royal portable with GARLOW stenciled on the case for $99.95.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all have good taste, but no one has guessed the pair yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, give us a hint. Are they for you or for Urban Legend?

      Delete
    2. Hmm, hmm.... If you didn't get that Underwood I'll eat a musty ribbon. Gotta think some more.

      Delete
    3. 2nd guess... Underwood 4 bank and the Remington Portable 2.

      Delete
    4. The Green Tom Thumb and the Dial (black with red)..my guess.

      Delete
  9. Could it be the $30 QDL and $40 Classic 12?

    ReplyDelete
  10. KMM $49.99, Smith Corona Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not good at this game. But I would choose the Sears Malibu, because it has interesting tab keys and a great blue color and the little advertising Royal/Regal typewriter. I like interesting ephemera and refurbishing typewriters had to be a big business at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considering they would end up on your workbench at Urban Legend, I guess the $29.99 QDL and $27 Sterling

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bing No. 2 and the electric Olympia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bing No. 2 and Underwood 4 bank.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, it's hard to play this game when you can't personally inspect the typewriters to see their condition. Many made reasonable guesses, but no one guessed the particular pair that I bought: the black '30s Underwood portable and the blue Futura. Both will be easy to fix up, and will bring a good profit to support WordPlay. Thanks for playing! (The Bing was the rarest typewriter I saw on my journey, but it was in terrible shape.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOOK AT THEM ALL!!!! I live in the wrong part of the country

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just caught up on this blog but I would have been wrong on both guesses. What a variety!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Corona comet and Bing #2 would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete