Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Poem of the day: totem pole & typewriter of the day: Signature 440T

Today I used my newest typewriter acquisition, a Montgomery Ward Signature 440T, made in Japan by Brother in 1968.

It's technically the second variation of Brother's JP-1 design. The little JP-1's took the world by storm in the '60s, because they were cheap and well made. They are loud, and not the best typewriters ever, but you could do much worse if you want a small portable.

This particular model features a plastic (Cycolac) body, a tabulator, a 44-key keyboard, and what I consider to be a beautiful shape. I bought one on eBay because the price was right, I'd never gotten my hands on one before, and I needed some amusement.

After extensive cleaning and repairs (I am particularly proud of creating a new bell clapper out of some stiff wire), it's working just fine.

Now for the poem:





I find myself influenced by the freewheeling poetry of Albert Goldbarth, a proudly non-computerized writer in Kansas who types funny, deep, personal poems and essays. His latest volume, The Now, is about the rush of technology and about losing old things and people. Would you enjoy a copy? Consider ordering one from my little local bookstore, Downbound Books, or Literati Bookstore in Ann Arbor. You'll be supporting a small business in hard times.







2 comments:

  1. Freud and Heidegger are closer on your desk than either would be comfortable with. If you need to economize, keep the Freud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those desk scissors have about the longest blades I have ever seen. Except a pair of wall paper scissors I bought from Monkey Ward about 1942, which have about 11" blades. I still have them, but I'm not at home so I can't measure them

    ReplyDelete