Monday, June 27, 2016

Revolution in the mailbox: A note on "Esq."



Thanks for these clarifications, Agent Bikethru. But now you have opened up the complex question of the difference between a barrister and a solicitor — neither of which we exactly have over here!

And a note to all agents and correspondents, on paper or electrons: I will be traveling for much of the rest of the summer, so please bear with me if I am slow to reply. I'll be in London for the month of July and look forward eagerly to seeing Bikethru and other insurgents. (Save July 24 for a London type-in if you'll be around. Details to follow.)



4 comments:

  1. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=esquire

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the UK, A barrister does litigation and a solicitor does not (I'm oversimplifying here.) Barristers also get to wear those silly wigs when they appear in court.

    There is no distinction between the two in the US; American attorneys all have the same educational and licensing requirements but some do litigation and others do transaction work instead. Again, I'm oversimplifying, but that's all you really need to know.

    I'm merely a paralegal and this comment is not legal advice. :)

    (This is Cynthia of The Cynthia Project, btw. For some reason, it's only letting me comment as Jurrasic Camera, probably because I'm using Chrome at the moment instead of Firefox.)

    ReplyDelete