Friday, October 27, 2017

Correspondence from Germany

German typist Klaus Mielke has recently sent me several typecast messages which I am allowed to post here. It's good to see the practice of typewriting making progress in Germany, which produced so many excellent machines. Typewriter collecting is a relatively popular hobby there, but the use of typewriters still has some way to go.




Pond units, or pounds? In any case, it looks like a really valuable piece of technical literature.






It's great that you got such good reactions. This is usually what we experience when we type in public, as long as we are considerate.



Does anyone have a user's manual for a later Ideal typewriter? Their general design was certainly inspired by Underwoods, but I expect the details differ.



Congratulations on your handsome new friend! I wonder whether the "16mm" key allows you to use a wider ribbon than normal (the usual width is 14mm).






4 comments:

  1. Very nice correspondence and a fine looking typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, indeed! :D
    A book about mechanical gears any engineer at mechanics and technician wants to have! And I am amazed about that ancient typewriter. It still is working! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing thess notes.
    Regarding ribbons, I was under the impression 13 mm (not 14 mm) was the usual width.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete