Wednesday, May 25, 2022

A visit to Nashville Typewriter

On my way to Memphis, where I'll give a talk about Martin Heidegger's typewriter, I stopped by Nashville Typewriter—Kirk Jackson, proprietor. 


Kirk's shop is located at 119 Moncrief Ave. in Goodlettsville, Tennessee (greater Nashville). It includes several fascinating display rooms, a workshop, and storage space.


Joining us was local typewriter lover and photographer Bill Lund.



There's a story behind everything at Nashville Typewriter. Here are a few.

This Smith-Corona Skyriter was admired by Tom Hanks when he visited last year:


Here are just a few of the typewriters Kirk recently acquired in Louisville, Kentucky:


He also brought back some rare literature:


This style of Adler Universal was made infamous in "The Shining" ("All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy")"


Kirk's workspace:


Many colorful portables ready for sale:


Some of the rarer machines here are part of Kirk's personal collection:


Kirk stocks my book, which he displays along with an Adler Favorit that used to belong to me:


I wish I could have spent longer in this wonderland. Kirk is living my dream! Do stop by Nashville Typewriter yourself sometime.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful typewriter shop. I'm sure you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much fun getting to hang out with you, Richard. You're a huge inspiration, and a pretty fun guy to boot!
    I'll try to get Scott to come next time, we can have a little type-in. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Jenn and I'm 29 and from a small town in Indiana. i have a collection of typewriters.
    ( 30 of them now I think lol.)
    I just started collecting them about a year ago. Once I started, I couldn't stop getting them lol. I now have ran into some hard times and I would like to sell most. To buy my two kids the Christmas they deserve. I only wanna keep maybe 10 of them. If that.. but I don't know much about them to be honest and was wondering if you could could give me advice on them or an idea of where to sell them all at one time. Some are older and don't work. Some I have never even tried. I could send pictures ifyou would like. If not interested in helping me, that's absolutely ok as well lol hope y'all have a great day. Thank you and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be glad to help, Jenn. You can reach me at polt@xavier.edu.

      Delete