Tuesday, September 15, 2026

AI knocking on my door








 

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, they got weirdly good for a week or so, but I haven't had any get through Akismet lately. I think someone spent a buncha tokens on an idea that probably didn't work well. Bloggers are too used to the spam in the queue. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped maintaining my classical music review site (www.classicalguy.com) when I realized I was writing almost exclusively for the Singapore bots and California content farms. I can't spend precious time writing content for nonhumans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. How dispiriting!

      Delete
    2. Tom will have at least one human visitor (me)

      Delete
  3. I’ve been wondering how educators in colleges and universities deal with written work generated by AI. I’m assuming that an AI-generated paper on, say, Heidegger, would be gobbledy-gook. Philosophy is difficult enough without AI intruding on the discipline.Your approach of requiring personal expressions in class seems workable. It may come down to students lugging portable typewriters and correction tape to class and the clackety clack of keys hitting white paper filling classrooms across campus. I’m glad I was a grad student in the distant 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some friends of mine, such as Andrew McFeaters, are in fact using typewriters in the classroom! — AI-generated text about philosophy is not necessarily wrong or nonsensical. It's actually quite useful for gathering the conventional "wisdom" on a topic or getting a probably-reliable overview of the literature. Then, of course, one should use Actual Intelligence to dive deeper and think through the issues.

      Delete
  4. https://tedium.co/2026/09/11/ilands-agents-email-spam-kaixin-tang/ goes into one platform and how it operates. It's a whole new generation of spam. Odious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great article, thanks! "I’m being hustled by clankers." Yes, the email I received was also from an iLands agent. What a weird and creepy pseudo-society they've created.

      Delete
  5. With the typwritermophere becoming less and less I have been thinking more and more about revitalizing my blog and posting more. All the while I wonder how much of my blog had already been stolen to fuel AI, and how much I do not want any future posts stolen.

    From the beginning of the PC we have all left our digital signatures of one form or another in cyberworld. One of my anti-digital rants and opposition to incessant AI garbage. We can't stop AI, but we can use typewriters, support the USPS, and use newsletters and correspondence to keep it out of AI hands (untli someone scans and posts it).

    ReplyDelete