Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Typewriter Revolution in The New York Times


I was quoted, with mention of my forthcoming book, in Friday's New York Times
Thanks to Steve Soboroff, who's also featured in this story, for sending me these shots of the printed edition. The online story is here.


Some facts that you wouldn't know from the story:

1. The typewriter pictured, which I recently added to my collection, is a mystery. It's a prototype portable whose inventor is unknown to me. I'll be writing about it for the fall issue of ETCetera.

2. I was slightly misquoted: instead of saying “ultimately writing about them,” I said “ultimately writing on them.” Let’s not forget they are writing machines!


9 comments:

  1. I read that online the other day. It's great seeing it in print. Viva la revolución!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard: In addition to being the highly respected author of the greatly anticipated soon-to-be-released tome on typewriters, have you again ascended to the editor's job at ETCetera?

    Rob in NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, starting with the next issue—with lots of help from our own Nick (of X Over It), who's doing the layout, and from others.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, congratulations, Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCELLENT! CONGRATULATIONS FROM THE SWISS BRANCH OF THE TYPOSPHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see typewriters advertised on craigslist and the seller does a real fine job boasting of the machine's greatness. Quite a salesman really, like how soboroff is. And he is in beverly hills, like soboroff. When i met him a couple years ago, i forgot to ask him if he put up those craigslist ads. These ads were a lot more common a couple years ago before he got his police commission position.

    In the marketing of the book (book tour?), i hope you can get on Good Morning America or something - I would save that on the DVR forever. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I doubt that GMA is in the cards, but I've been invited to the Miami Book Fair in November.

      Delete