Sunday, May 31, 2015

Typewriters in Madrid



I'm back for a few days in Madrid, the city of my birth and one of my favorite places in the world. Aside from a short stop in the airport 3 years ago, I haven't been here since 1984.

Since it's a Sunday, I went to the Rastro, the street market that sprawls through a good chunk of old Madrid. Hoping to see typewriters, I was not disappointed. 

This street poet on a Lettera 22 (or maybe a Pluma 22) asked if I knew California street poet Jacqueline Suskin. Yes! She's in my book. 




Some vendors had you know whats for sale. 


This Regia was tempting until I figured out that it had been spray painted, and poorly at that. 


This French-keyboard Groma had a folding return lever I've never seen before. I suspect it was a later addition. 




I almost bought an early Hermes 2000 with Spanish keyboard, offered for €65, but managed to control myself. 

Finally I ran into this wonderful little shop that specializes in office antiques. 








The owner was very friendly and knows many of the same collectors I do. The shop is at Arganzuela, 29. I recommend it!


12 comments:

  1. ....speechless! Don't say you'll come back empty handed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so. I thought hard about that Hermes, but I have one (US keyboard) already.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures. Thanks Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been a fantastic trip. Sure is a wonderful place, especially the office antique shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Some fantastic stuff there. And.... back it up.... What's that Groma?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures of that store give me the same feeling I have when I watch the Olivander's scene in Harry Potter. It's hard to explain. I just love old timey shops full of doodads and gizmos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How were the prices overall? And specifically at that office antique store? I like that ideal. And the barlock is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much what you'd expect. The typewriters on the street aren't priced. I asked about a couple of portables and was told 50 and 65 euros, surely negotiable. The typewriters in the shop were all beautifully restored and prices were comparable to the higher end of sales on eBay.

      Delete
    2. Here's his website;
      http://www.antiguedadesoficina.com

      Delete
  7. Madrid looks like a charming city! I'd love to just move to Europe, and travel it for the rest of my life. What do we get - Walmart and McDonalds. I could see myself running an office antiques store! Thanks for the interesting photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! And I'm happy your first spot was a Lettera 22/Pluma. I visited Madrid in 2003, if plans push through, I may be able to visit next year. Yes, Rastro rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! It's great to see those old phones, typewriters and radios, etc mingled in.

    ReplyDelete