Thursday, June 20, 2019

The fate of the blogless



This post has been scheduled in advance to be published during my digital detox period. Don't worry, I probably won't be wailing ... I think. But as I was rereading this text, I couldn't resist posting it.

"The Buribunks" is a uncannily prescient satire about a world where everyone is required to publish diaries about everything they experience. They are perfectly free to write that they have nothing to write, or that they hate writing—but if they actually stop writing, they fall into social oblivion.

An English translation is in the works, and I plan on contributing an essay to an anthology of buribunkological studies.

6 comments:

  1. Programar publicaciones digitales para un lapso de desintoxicación digital, parece ir en esa dirección de "no dejar de existir". Tener dormido el Avatar, pero con un ojo cerrado y otro abierto... Me pregunto cómo la estás pasando.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's seems like a prophetic look at social media from a century ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to admit though, since I started typecasting in 2010, I've written reams more than I ever had before. The prompt of "oh, I should post some of the stuff I've written, and I'd better finish it up first" is good grease on the wheels. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Falling into Social Oblivion doesn't sound so bad. I bet it is quiet in Oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really makes me feel spooked! It’s Bridget Jones day with me which means I am allowed to use my phone indiscriminately again and so far I don’t like it a bit! Hope you’re not wailing. Or, have stopped by now ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still write by hand, but not by striking keys. I use graphite and strokes inspired by my daily doings. Thank you for this post inspiring my due diligence. Escapements has been a blessing. Tap on!

    ReplyDelete