Saturday, October 26, 2019

Herman's 2019

Last weekend at Herman's was another wonderful getaway for those who appreciate typewriters.

As always, Herman Price's Chestnut Ridge Typewriter Museum offers a mind-blowing variety of fascinating writing machines.



This year there was a Halloween theme running through the house.





We gathered 'round the pool table for tall tales and factoids ...



Among the treasures in the pool room is this gorgeous custom-made chest for the Burlingame Telegraphing Typewriter, which was a stock fraud that never went into mass production. The chest once held a mechanism that would be attached to the underside of a typewriter. Herman doesn't own the mechanism itself—yet!



Meanwhile, many attendees bought and sold typewriters outdoors.




I ended up selling 22 machines, including these 1948-49 Remingtons (last of the old and first of the new).

I've done my best to update my collection list.

There were lots of typewriter t-shirts to be seen, and even socks ( I believe these are Ker Cleary's):



Bert Kerschbaumer, author of many fine articles on my website and in ETCetera, was honored with this year's QWERTY Award.



Here is the famed Peter Weil, looking fit and happy after his recent wedding and trip to Europe.



On the occasion of my retirement as editor of ETCetera, I was astounded to be presented with an engraved, golden Smith-Corona with a red turboplaten—a wonderful honor from the Early Typewriter Collectors' Association.




Another moving gift from the typosphere, presented to me by Dave Brechbiel, was this nice set of analog writing tools.



And I even got a cake with a touching sentiment.



Paul Harker speaks about 3D printing typewriter parts — he's even printed platens.



Other fine presentations included Ian Brumfield's talk. He's working on a book about Royals.



Street poet Joseph Jablonski relaxes:



The beauty contest offered many enticing entrants:



The blue Royal ended up as the winner, but I was also very impressed by #1, an Erika that was custom-painted by a motorcycle shop, and by a chromed Selectric that had belonged to the late Jack Knarr.

Then there was the speed-typing contest, on both modern and antique machines.



I'm leaving out 99% of the event, including delicious food, great conversations, hearty laughs, and an endless flow of typewriter knowledge. 

Thanks, Herman, for another fantastic meeting!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for your great coverage of the event. Same time, same channel, next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, but yes, hard to Tell All. Truly a wonderful event that I am still wandering around, mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great event for everyone. Beautiful gold Smith-Corona. I'd love to be there and see how many typewriters would follow me home. Oh, and to meet eveyone I hear so much about also. Have a great time! Thanks for your report.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, your name in print, that makes people. I’m in print! Things are going to start happening to me now."
    -- Navin R. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice report and pictures from Herman's - it really was such a good time. I had many great typewriter conversations with people I know of only from online resources. Looking forward to the next Jamboree at Herman's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone who won't be able to attend, this report is sheer torture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mis ganas de asistir hierven al ver estas fotografías.

    A mis cálculos financieros sumaré algo de pasta para comprar máquinas. El impulso por dejar algunas para mí, ya está despierto y latoso.

    Y se me ocurrió algo que ya te diré.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola alguien me puede ayudar. Adquirí una máquina royal y quiero saber de qué año es. El número que trae gravado es 0-494123

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Según https://typewriterdatabase.com/royal.72.typewriter-serial-number-database es una portátil del año 1936.

      Delete